Ten Great Reasons to Breastfeed
Breast milk is the most perfect food on the planet for babies. Yet in our culture women are replacing breast milk with formula and boobs with bottles. Have we got so out of balance in our priorities that we would side step essential nurturing for convenience? There are so many benefits to breastfeeding, I wanted to list a few here so women can remain as educated as possible in their choices, and if you were thinking of formula feeding, maybe I can sway you back the other way!
My breastfeeding journey wasn’t easy at first. There were so many times when I was ready to give up, looking for an excuse to stop, not that I needed one. My little one didn’t learn to latch properly, so along with him not gaining weight as he should, I had sore and scabbed nipples! I still have a little scar on one of them…..ouch!
But I’m so glad I continued. I tried pumping which wasn’t working well either, I was exhausted and looking back, probably quite stressed which didn’t help. I gave him a bottle of formula a day on top of feeding on demand and then that was enough. I stopped the formula feeding at about 6 – 7 months when he went onto solids and he is still breastfeeding comfortably and enjoyably at 11 months. I don’t necessarily recommend people to top up with formula, (I was using organic). It can lower a woman’s supply as breastfeeding is on a supply and demand basis. But because my little one was almost constantly on the breast, it was what worked for us.
I love the experience and am so glad I continued through the tough times. It’s made it all worth it in the end and its so good to know he is getting the most perfect food for him on the planet!
Ten Reasons to Breastfeed
Each woman’s journey is different, and what ever is right for you is the way forward. If you are looking for a nudge toward starting or carrying on breastfeeding, then I wholeheartedly recommend it.
1. A woman produces oxytocin when she breastfeeds, which is the same feel good chemical that we produce when we orgasm, it is the love hormone. This helps bonding with the baby, but also gives us another great way to feel good loving feelings.
2. After you first give birth it helps the womb to shrink back to its original size
3. It burns approximately 500 calories a day so a great way to loose the post pregnancy pounds!
4. It is the most perfect food for your baby all the way though as it changes in response to their needs, nothing else will do this with the same perfection
5. A newborn baby’s immune system isn’t fully developed. Breast milk contains immune boosting antibodies and lots of white blood cells so helps to keep baby healthy and fights disease
6. It helps to produce and continue a strong bond between Mummy and baby
7. Breast milk is more easily digested compared to formula and so there is less gas and stomach problems in breastfed babies
8. Exclusive breastfeeding helps to delay the return of menstruation, woohoo!
9. Much less expensive than formula, in fact it costs nothing
10. Research found that breastfeeding women have better quality and more sleep than formula feeding mothers, no getting up in the night to make formula etc. If you co-sleep this is even easier!